A great deal of what I do is "hurry up and wait". Get to set 5am, hurry to hair and makeup, then hurry to wardrobe and the green room. Wait for the set to be dressed for your scene, wait for the camera and lights to be set, wait to shoot your scene, then wait for the cameras and lights to be reset to shoot the same scene from the 3 or four other angles of each other character in the scene with you. Hurry up and wait. But the longest and the worst waiting period is when you are done, you have left set, shot all your scenes and the project has wrapped. We wait for the tapes to be edited and the piece packaged and ready to go. Only then do I finally get to see what made it in and what was left on the cutting room floor. Today one of my waits is over. My new project was just released and I am very happy and proud of the results.
The Underground Kings is a gritty police drama set in Philadelphia starring a slew of Philly talent including Brian Anthony Wilson from "Limitless" with Bradley Cooper, Christopher Mann from "The Wire", John Canada Terrell from "The Five Heartbeats" to name a few. The series is written directed and produced by local talent as well: Written by Skye Dennis, Directed by Lionel Cook and Executive Produced by Richard "Rip" Hamilton of the Chicago Bulls. Among the slew of reality shows and entertainment journals, we are missing the true dramas that used to make up prime time television; "The Underground Kings" fills that void. With such a strong cast, excellent writing and the superb backing of Hamilton's Rip City Film's, the series is sure to make its mark, and I along with it. I play a character named Ciara who was married at young age and is currently divorced, she is also mother of a little girl, Tatiana. All I can say is she is NOTHING like Tiffany Barrett, to find out what I mean you'll have to watch! My hope is that you will, I promise it will be worth it.
More than this is just another project in the can for me, its also one more affirmation that it can be done. All the things that everyone wanted me to believe I couldn't do. I even believed it at one point. That I couldn't support my family doing what I love, but I can, and I do. That my friends has made all the difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment